Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sneak Those Veggies In: Two Promising Squash Recipes


We recently got a big butternut squash in our farm box, and it has been sitting in our fridge while I try to figure out a use for it. You see, no one in my family is a huge squash fan, but I didn't want to waste this veggie or the opportunity to get its nutrition into our children.
So now that I'm finally not feeling AS sick from my pregnancy (11 weeks tomorrow, yay!), I decided to find a few promising recipes for my big yellow friend.
The first, Butternut Squash Muffins With a Frosty Top is a Jamie Oliver recipe. I've heard great things about this recipe, so I knew I would need to try it. You don't even need to cook the squash ahead of time for this one, so it's a definite keeper. I'll be making them to take to school tomorrow since it's Bennett's turn to bring snack. (note: I'll use coconut oil instead of olive oil for the added health benefits. Also, I'll omit the nuts since Bennett's school is nut free!)
The second recipe is more of a gamble, but I'll try it. My husband and kids LOVE the sugary sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving, and this Baked Butternut Squash Mash seemed reminiscent enough that they just might get eaten without coaxing or bribing. :0)
So I'll be making these two recipes this week. I'll let you know how they go over, and if you make them, please share your feedback as well!

1 comment:

  1. Yum, Case! Those muffins look GOOD.

    I also made butternut squash fries recently with the ones I got in our box. They turned out quite good--2 of the 3 kids ate them. :)
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/butternut-squash-fries/detail.aspx

    I've also made this pie, which tastes just like pumpkin pie (or better)--seriously, no one knows it isn't pumpkin:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/better-than-pumpkin-pie/detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete